Activities at Ethical are scheduled for every day of the week, but the main community activities occur on Sunday. Unless otherwise noted, all events are free and open to the public.
Early Sunday Mornings
In season, members meet on Sunday mornings for a series of changing programs, which are free of charge. Among them:
- Chorus Practice (first and third Sundays, 10:00; second and fourth Sundays, 10:30) enables members to improve their experience of the musical portions of our Sunday meetings.
- Colloquy (second Sundays, 9:30) is a session of readings, reflections, music, and meditation to support and inspire us in our quest to create a life of meaning, joy, and responsibility. A topic is chosen for each session. Sample topics are Faith, Trust, Courage, and Dreams.
- Poetry Readings (third Sundays, 9:30) are shared by members and friends who bring their own favorites or browse through the Society's collection.
Sunday Platform - 11:00AM
Sunday Platform is our most important community event. These gatherings are intended to educate, stimulate personal growth, inspire reflection and action, and build a sense of community. Sunday meetings usually begin with a musical prelude, and are followed by greetings, songs, and a talk given by a Society Leader, member, or guest speaker. Talks cover a variety of topics that reflect current events, social issues and Ethical Culture philosophy. A collection basket is passed and money is shared between the Society and a charity selected for that day. While contributions are always appreciated, Sunday meetings are free and open to the public. Each Sunday a Society member is available afterwards to welcome newcomers, answer their questions and accompany them to brunch and Social Hour. For upcoming Sunday Meeting topics, please see our calendar. more
Ethics for Children - 11:00AM
Our version of Sunday School, Ethics for Children is designed for youngsters from four to 13 years of age and takes place concurrent with our Sunday Meeting. Sessions raise issues of personal identity and integrity, appreciation and respect for others, and knowledge of religions, philosophies, and social concerns. Topics are explored in an age-appropriate way through discussion, storytelling, dramatization, music, art, games, and field trips. more
Lunch and Social Hour - 12:45PM
A meal is held in the 6th floor school cafeteria after each Sunday meeting. This offers time for sharing a meal, socializing and participating in ethical action activities.
Sunday Afternoons - 1:30PM
On many Sundays following lunch, we have one or more afternoon activities inlcuding discussions, workshops, performances, films, or outings such as walks, hikes, or bicycle trips. Our Teen Ethical Leadership program also meets on Sunday afternoons. Among our regular programs:
- Ethics in the News (second Sundays)
- Ethical Death Cafe (second Sundays)
- Social Justice Documentary & Discussion (third Sundays)
- Climate Chat with the Environmental Stewardship Committee (fourth Sundays)