Activities at Ethical are scheduled for every day of the week, but the main community activities occur every Sunday. Unless otherwise noted, all events are free and open to the public.
COVID-19 Notice: Please note that due to the pandemic, all of our programming has moved online, and many programs have been rescheduled for weekdays or postponed indefinitely. Please visit our events calendar for our latest program listings.
In season, members meet on Sunday mornings for a series of changing programs, which are free of charge. Among them:
- Chorus Practice (postponed) enables members to improve their experience of the musical portions of our Sunday meetings.
- Colloquy (rescheduled) is a session of readings, reflections, music, and meditation to support and inspire us in our quest to create a life of meaning, joy, and responsibility. A topic is chosen for each session. Sample topics are Faith, Trust, Courage, and Dreams.
- Poetry Circle (rescheduled) are shared by members and friends who bring their own favorites or browse through the Society’s collection.
Sunday Platform is our most important community event. These gatherings are intended to educate, stimulate personal growth, inspire reflection and action, and build a sense of community. Sunday meetings usually begin with a musical prelude, and are followed by greetings, songs, and a talk given by a Society Leader, member, or guest speaker. Talks cover a variety of topics that reflect current events, social issues and Ethical Culture philosophy. A collection basket is passed and money is shared between the Society and a charity selected for that day. While contributions are always appreciated, Sunday meetings are free and open to the public. Each Sunday a Society member is available afterwards to welcome newcomers, answer their questions and accompany them to brunch and Social Hour.
Past Sunday Platform Videos
Our version of Sunday School, Ethics for Children is designed for youngsters from four to 13 years of age and takes place concurrent with our Sunday Meeting. Sessions raise issues of personal identity and integrity, appreciation and respect for others, and knowledge of religions, philosophies, and social concerns. Topics are explored in an age-appropriate way through discussion, storytelling, dramatization, music, art, games, and field trips.
For more information, please visit our youth programming page at ethical.nyc/youth.
A meal is held in the 6th floor school cafeteria after each Sunday meeting. This offers time for sharing a meal, socializing and participating in ethical action activities. Free to newcomers!
On many Sundays following lunch, we have one or more afternoon activities including discussions, workshops, performances, films, or outings such as walks, hikes, or bicycle trips.
- Rescheduled – Ethics in the News (now Tuesdays, 2pm)
- Rescheduled – Ethical Death Cafe (now 2nd Thursdays, 11am)
- Rescheduled – Ethics and the Theater (now 2nd Thursdays, 7pm)
- Postponed – Social Justice Documentary & Discussion
- Postponed – Climate Chat with the Environmental Stewardship Committee